Monday, July 18, 2011

Walking and talking

My friend Julia got a chance to see what it's like to spend some time with Marcus this weekend. Certainly, his energy and sense of humor are wonderful to be around. What I think she noticed, though, is the incredible amount of energy it takes just to spend time with him. In the hour long walk in the park, he must have talked about 200 different random topics, all at the top of his lungs.

Marcus doesn't regulate his voice tone according to context. He is loud all the time. And I mean all the time. We saw the new Harry Potter movie this weekend and everyone in the theater knew what Marcus was thinking. I get self conscious but Marcus is happy as a clam. I think that's good. I always have to remind him that I am standing right next to him. I've grown used to it, I suppose. I only notice now when we are in public or out with a friend.

I am not always patient with Marcus when I have a whole day with him. Some days it only days five minutes from the time he gets up before I've had it with "Mom, just so you know..." or "Mom, what would happen if...." The what if questions really get to me. The circumstances are so random! What if a spider jumped in my juice? What if clouds fell from the sky? I don't know how to communicate in words so you can feel what it's like to have hours and hours of these kinds of questions. Some days I say to him, "I just can't spend another day with you asking me ten thousand questions about ten thousand random topics". It makes me feel like a bad mom. Aren't we supposed to cherish every word our children speak? Celebrate every idea? Whoever made up those rules never spent a full day with Marcus.

No comments:

Post a Comment