Friday, July 15, 2011

Heater noise

Today's entry is a current story, from today actually. The heater repair guy just left. We called him because there has been a horrible rattling in our furnace and we were thinking that we'd have to bite the bullet and get a new furnace. Good news is we don't have to. Why the rattle you ask? Marcus.

Marcus has a thing with food and spends a good deal of time and energy thinking about food, sneaking food, and hiding the remains. We have found some fairly disgusting remains over the years in some really creative spaces. Never did I think of the ductwork! The heater guy found soda bottles and popsicle trash buffeting against the fan. Only at my house:).

What this story from today prompts in me is to talk about the never-ending, always frustrating, trail of destroyed house and yard we have. There is simply nothing that Marcus can't take apart. There is no toy, and I'm not kidding, no toy at all, that has not been repurposed (read destroyed) into something that fits what's going on in Marcus's imagination. Even toys I had kept clean and intact from Anna's early childhood days became wands, capes, or potions. My yard is littered with sticks that didn't meet the criteria for the perfect wand and my trees and bushes have gaps in the branches (so do my neighbors'). My collection of hundreds of children's book all torn (turns out tearing books and paper is a tic). Any tiny curled up piece of wallpaper is now a huge torn out swath. My stair railing is broken into pieces and the banister itself is shaky. There are broken tiles in my new kitchen floor, holes in my walls, tears in my couches, and missing screws from anywhere there is a screw. Turns out Marcus didn't have an uncanny knack for finding lost screws and nails - he was taking them out!! I only discovered it when I began to notice missing dresser handles or the toilet started to wobble.

This summer I got sick and tired of living in what felt like a dump. I spent hours and hours sanding, painting, and sprucing up. Larger carpentry repairs will have to be done by a professional though. Here I was thinking I might actually be willing to invite people over to my house again when one day I hear loud smashing noises coming from the back yard. I called out to Marcus "Hey, what are you doing?" He answered, "Playing Thor." My heart dropped, Thor! In whose universe does my son find a construction grade sledgehammer behind the garage?! The carpenter will now have to add the big gaping hole in my fence to the list. Know any carpenters I can put on retainer?

No comments:

Post a Comment