Wednesday, August 24, 2011

At wits end

I just can't figure out how to deal. For the past few days Marcus has gone over the top with behavior. He broke into my home office (yes we live with locks on the doors) to get candy he bought with what I know now is stolen money. I learned today when he came home from time with his "skill builder" (a name I don't understand) with a bag of groceries that he had rummaged through the drawers in my office and found a grocery gift card. He bought all sorts of cupcakes and desserts and a steak. Then, as I was barely handling my anger, he smashed the living room coffee table into pieces. He says it was an "accident". I think this means that he didn't do it in anger, but this was no accident.

I can't think of what possible consequence I should give him. I grounded him from his computer. But this isn't going to do anything. He knows what he did was wrong and says he feels guilty, but I know the behavior won't stop. He can't help it. So what am I supposed to do with my anger and his breaking into my office and breaking my coffee table? I'm sitting in my office avoiding him. Clearly not the right answer, nor is it quality parenting.

My husband left mad earlier (before the coffee table incident) and went to hang out with friends. I will need to write a different entry about the toll this has all had on our marriage. I'm too upset right now.

Sorry for rambling, but this is a spur of the moment writing while upset kind of entry. Any suggestions about what consequences I should implement would be greatly welcome. I'm at my wits end.

No comments:

Post a Comment