Sunday, September 27, 2015

New school year adjustments

We are three weeks into Marcus's year at the new East. The first week was the honeymoon where things went well. These last two weeks have been more difficult. He's not the only student adjusting to everything being different, but of course, he's my child. Teachers and staff are trying to figure him out. The school responded well to my letter (see previous post) by making sure teachers had all the Tourette's literature I sent. The support model continues to need tweaking, but is generally working well.

One of the new administrators with whom I am developing a nice relationship shared this article on her Facebook page. While Marcus doesn't have autism, the things the mother expressed are very much what we deal with. People who don't have children like Marcus or my friend's daughter simply do not understand what we deal with everyday. Like the women who wrote the article, I have been at the park when Marcus dashed off to push a child over. I have had to pull over on the highway because of a violent tantrum. I have had those looks from other parents when Marcus has exploded in public. My husband and I stopped taking him out and we isolate in our house, even now. Bringing people to our house is scary. People don't know.

As these new teachers come to learn all of Marcus's behaviors, they barely get a glimpse into what it's like to parent him. I feel a little embarrassed to be honest. I wonder whether they have compassion for me or whether they think it's my fault. I want to say "welcome to my world" but then I have shut off that world to "outsiders"; it's a conundrum.

We are all meeting next week - 10 teachers plus admin folks - to talk about what has been happening and brainstorm next steps. I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I greatly appreciate how much everyone is there with full hearts to help Marcus be successful. On the other hand, here we go again. Another group of people who will peer into our family and see how difficult it is. I'm not one for all this intimate exposure. I suppose that is silly given I am writing this blog where I reveal all this stuff for anyone. There's the rub. Gotta be all in for your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment