Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Still on hold

We are still waiting to hear anything from the school district about the superintendent's hearing. It's now 6 days. By law, they are supposed to have the hearing and a CSE meeting within 5 days. Nobody really cares about the law around children with disabilities. There appear to be no consequences. Except on families, of course.

Morris and I are playing tag with staying home with Marcus while trying to work. He has the day off today so I had time for a meeting, a blood test, and now I'm at a coffee shop working on my book (and writing this:)). I suppose I'm "lucky" that my job has flexibility around time. That means I am the person who stays with him while Morris works, missing meetings and any other office based activities. His schedule is tighter. Oh, and in its wisdom, the school scheduled a meeting with me tomorrow morning that I can't take Marcus to. Huh?! Here is a kid who can't come to school due to emotional upheaval and I'm supposed to leave him alone while I come to talk about how they are not ready to take him back!

I've had several phone calls with them. "You know it's not our fault the one-to-one aide quit" "But we do want Marcus back" "We are not ready" I'm completely fed up. I've called the district office everyday to ask about the hearing - no response at all. In the meantime, Marcus is not in school and, in effect, being denied an education required by law. Oh, but it's no one's fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment