Sunday, June 7, 2015

Never expected this

As you know, Marcus started at East High School about 2 months ago. It is his first experience in a general education setting since kindergarten. I was full of fear about what might happen based on the past 12 years in self-contained settings. I know the research on inclusion shows conclusively that students with disabilities thrive in general education settings, but I wasn't sure about Marcus since our local district simply doesn't follow the law and gets away with it. Plus, when he ended up in a closet with an aide at the end of kindergarten, I was determined he would not be hurt like that again. We had two goals: no jail and a high school diploma.

I did not imagine that things would be as amazingly welcoming as they have been. He has, for the first time, been able to develop friendships, feel welcome and valued, and even have girls flirt with him! We have lots of support in place, for sure. My husband stopped working so he could spend full time supporting Marcus. He is in the building all day and is available in case anything happens. He has an amazing one-to-one aide who is skilled as a teaching assistant. We started with only a few periods, then built up to a full day as he adjusted. Going from home instruction to a full, comprehensive urban high school with 1800 students was quite a jump. But it went so much better than I worried about that I can't even describe how good it feels.

The very best part, something I never imagined was possible, was him joining the unified basketball team. Marcus is now 7 feet tall and growing. He has never played basketball before. But, unified sports is amazingly inclusive and a wonderful way to learn a sport. The coach taught him as he played in real games against other teams in our county. Just being 7 feet tall made a difference, but Marcus learned really quickly. He understood where he was supposed to be on the court, ran up and down the court with his team, and helped players up if they fell. The first time he made a basket, I thought my husband and I would pass out from excitement. It was the most fun we had had since Marcus was a baby before his diagnosis. I still don't have words for how wonderful this has been. Seeing Marcus experience team sports (the team gathering for chants, supporting each other on the court, high fives...) was something I never knew could be so wonderful. The varsity coach came to his first game to see how he did. He definitely has his eye on Marcus for his team.

I write this today so that other parents who have children like Marcus can see that there is hope. Even writing about having hope scares me a bit (I have to admit I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop), but hope is creeping in. I fear I had lost hope. Seeing some glimmer is transformative and soul-healing. Never give up!

Here's a picture of his first game. I couldn't be more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment