Thursday, January 26, 2012

Well, I'll be

Darned if good ol' behaviorism didn't have an effect! I am most certainly not a behaviorist and I have heard all the stuff about not using food as a reward, but when you have tried everything else...

About two weeks ago, I agreed with school folks to try a coordinated effort to curtail some of Marcus's destructive behavior at school. He had destroyed another classroom and did so on the very day I had gone in for a meeting. I even went into his room to try and calm him down. It worked for a while, but he escalated again and got suspended. It was at his re-entry meeting that we came up with the plan.

If he earned 10 PBIS tickets (it's now up to 17) and was not violent, he would get Phish Food ice cream and soda when he got home from school. With a few moments of irritation at other kids and some procrastination behaviors, he has had no episodes since then. He's even attended most of his class time and did the work. I'm going to say that one again - he's attended class and done the work.

Not sure what else to say. He's still obviously a ton of work, but no desks have been destroyed since I bought the Phish Food.

1 comment:

  1. Phish food - one of my absolute favorite flavors!
    I'm glad to hear that this system seems to be working for Marcus.

    ReplyDelete